Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Chemo Number Two - For Real This Time!


After my last attempt at chemo was abandoned due to yet another bad reaction to Taxotere, my oncologist designed a new treatment plan to include a relatively new drug called Abraxane along with the other drug I had taken previously, Cytoxin. After working with the insurance company to get approval for this new line of treatment, the doctor scheduled my second (real) treatment for Thursday, December 18. This date fell right in the middle of exam week, but my colleagues and friends jumped in without hesitation and took over for me; hence, my Lakeside worries were allayed, and I was able to focus on my medical treatment. Praise friendship!

Speaking of friendship, I feel compelled to discuss my parents before I write about this chemo experience. We lost my Dad to colon cancer three years ago, and I can’t even type the words “lost my Dad” on the screen without tearing up. He was our heart. Never did a gentler, kinder spirit walk the face of the earth. I mention this amazing man now because he and my mother made quite a pair. My Mom is the epitome of the social butterfly. Over the past sixty odd years, my parents made many, many friends—long-lasting friends. You know how people come into your lives and move on never to be heard from again? Well, my parents don’t know people in that way. When people came into their lives, it was forever. Be careful if you hook up with a Chase because we simply take “forever friends” to a new level. During the course of my experience with breast cancer, I have received countless cards and gifts from people my parents have cultivated friendships with over the years--people they went to school with (I’m talking elementary school here), people my dad served in the military with (fifty years ago), and many people who have to explain who they are in their cards (because they simply know me through my parents). When people comment to me that I am so fortunate to have such a strong support system, they are absolutely right. However, I owe that blessing to my parents who served as fertile soil for my growth as a human being, and I am so thankful that they instilled within me the importance of valuing people over things.

Having said all that, I’ll explain now that the above paragraph was intended to lay the foundation for a very cool gift I received in the mail. One afternoon, the girls—who live for mail time--brought in a big box addressed to me. As we love surprises, we all settled on the bed to see what was in the mystery box. Inside was an absolutely gorgeous regal purple shawl with a card from Andrea Ellerbee. In her card, she explained that she and my Mom had been friends since first grade, and she and her husband were attendants in my parents’ wedding; she had started a prayer ministry at her church in the North Georgia mountains called, “Crochet and Pray.” She further explained that she had crocheted this shawl for me while simultaneously praying for my healing. People from her church had prayed over the completed shawl and hoped that I would wear it during my chemotherapy treatments. I was so touched by her giving, considerate spirit and also by her love for my mother. The shawl was the very first item I packed in my “chemo bag.” I wore it proudly over my shoulders, feeling the love and prayers of Andrea and her fellow parishioners. My chemo went off without a hitch!

Many, many people from many, many faiths have asked permission to pray for me. I ask each one of them to pray very hard. I am always touched that I am connected with so many individuals on a spiritual level, for after all, spirituality is very personal. My students and I have been exploring the hero’s journey this semester, and of course, you can’t study the hero without words of wisdom from George Lucas of Star Wars fame. Lucas once said, “All religions are true; they just see different sides of the elephant.” I am moved by this notion and truly believe that as this point, I’ve got just about the whole elephant on my side! Keep praying, my friends—very hard.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Ms. Chase,
I admire your exceptional strength, beauty, and courage.
You are a goddess that is one of a kind. :)

Much love,
Gloria